Monday, December 21, 2009

Can someone tell me where I can get financial/legal advise apart from Citizens Advice Bureau?

I dont know if im calling the wrong numbers but its impossible to get through to speak to anyone and I cant take time off work to go there (without an appointment),and they dont accept emails or letters. So I need some good advice on whether I have a good case to fight off a debt with my debt collectors!Can someone tell me where I can get financial/legal advise apart from Citizens Advice Bureau?
Many financial advisers can help, if only to point you in The right direction. Many will also drop in to your home and have a chat for the price of a cup of tea.





They may well help you out now in exchanhe for some business in the future or a few referrals.





Another option is to get a free consultation with a solicitor. These are usually only 15 minutes so get everything together before you go - better still, write it down concisely in key points so it can be read and understood in a couple of minutes.





I did this: I got some basic advice on how to sort out my problem and then was told that it would cost me 拢160/hour for them to represent me. I said ';I'd think about it';, and did some research on the net (once I knew what to look for). Six months later I am all sorted out. And I never went back to that solicitor (even though she was really cute ... but I digress).





A lot depends on how much you owe, what equity (property) you own, if you are working, etc.





A friend of mine had lots of small debts totalling several thousand pounds, was not working (disabled) and spoke to a friendly solicitor. They went to court and judge made an order that all his debts were lumped together and ge only had to pay 50p a week. Several years later he went back to the office of the courts to see if he could increase his payments as he had some spare cash, and they told him that he shouldn't be paying anything at all as the debt had been wiped 9 months earlier (and no one had told him....).





Lots of options.





If it is giving you sleepless nights, you feel sick everytime a letter drops through your letter box and you are afraid to answer the phone in case it is a creditor giving you grief - take a day off work and visit the CAB. Be honest with your boss, I'm sure he'll understand and be willing to help.





Two days before going to court to prevent my home being repossessed, my partner was at home when an official letter was delivered. On impulse she opened it and found that something had changed and all my plans were up the kyber. She phoned the mine where I work and told the Mine Manager that I needed to get home immediately to sort things out. He sent a guy 2,000 feet underground to tell me to get to surface immediately, which I did. He told me about my partners phone call, I called her from his office and then explained why I needed to go home. He said no problem, and not to worry as I wouldn't lose any pay!!!! He said he wanted me to get sorted out so I could stick with the job for the long term.





I had it sorted out within 24 hours and 2 weeks ago I finally got rid of a huge weight that had been weighing me down for about 6 years.





I still have my house, I still have my job, I still have my life. But I can walk upright now.





Take the time off work to see the CAB. They can talk to your creditors for you and stall them while things get sorted better than you can. Again, take everything with you and get right to the point.





Your financial problems won't go away. YOU have to do something about them, and you have to do it NOW.





The longer you wait the worse it gets.





Believe me, I know.Can someone tell me where I can get financial/legal advise apart from Citizens Advice Bureau?
hello nattsbb11 I think you should speak to an attorney about your legal and financial problems and ask them what you could do. There are attorneys out there that give free advice you just have to call and find out if they give free advice. There are some attorneys offices that are open on the weekends also you just have to call them and ask them. you should look in the yellow pages for them and see what kind of help they offer. I hope this helps you.
on here is a good start. have you reclaimed bank charges? if not theres loads of sites doing it for you now, search bank charges on google. or try www.clearstart.org. hope this helps.
It depends what kind of financial advice you are looking for. The CAB can advise you on debt management, financial law and benefit entitlement, but not things like investment etc.


You may need to take time off work to call in. You could contact your bank to see if they can help. If it pertains to investment/pension advice then you may have to pay for an independent financial adviser.
Of course the CAB accepts letters! Just write to your nearest branch and ask them to contact you urgently!
Legal Aid offers free services.


Nearly all solicitors, have first visit, free.


However, you are going to have to make an appointment to see them, as they don't give information over the phone.


Where as Legal Aid, will discuss your problem over the phone with you.


And, if you need to pursue it any further, you will have to see them.


I know, they work, after hours.


Good Luck and hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment